Tuesday, July 6, 2010

CVS 101



Words can't express the love I have for CVS! To think that four months ago, I hadn't set foot in a CVS in years. Now I'm in CVS probably two times four times a week. Before I started couponing, I always thought CVS was overpriced (that's why I never went in there). Once I learned the tricks and trades of extreme couponing, combined with the awesome Extra Care Bucks (ECB) deals, I have become unstoppable. I even have a cast on my left arm to prove it (I had put my 5 year old son in a shopping cart in CVS so I could shop peacefully and cheaply. When I went to get him out of the cart (left-handed, holding onto my coupon binder with my right hand), I pulled two ligaments in my left wrist. I've been in a cast for three weeks, have two more weeks to go).

Anyway, I digress. This post is to help you learn the tricks and trades of being a smart CVS shopper. I will do this in a question/answer format.

• What are Extra Care Bucks?
Extra Care Bucks (or ECB) are coupons that are rewarded to customer that have an Extra Care Bucks card through CVS by buying specified items. They will print out on the bottom of your receipt after you make a purchase. Extra Care Bucks can be used to purchase anything in CVS (with the exclusion of tobacco, alcohol, lottery tickets, postage stamps, or prescription drugs). Extra Care Bucks are only good for their face value and if your total purchase is less than the value of your Extra Care Bucks, you will not get change back or a new ECB rewarded to you. Extra Care Bucks do have expiration dates, typically four weeks after you receive your Extra Care Bucks (expiration date is printed on the bottom of the Extra Care Bucks reward).

• What is a CRT scanner?
A CRT scanner is a kiosk that is set up in CVS stores that produces store coupons for use in CVS when scanning your ECB Rewards card. You can scan your ECB card multiple times a day for different coupons. New store coupons are released every Monday. The CRT scanner can also be used to price-check an item. Simply scan the item under the scanner and it will produce the price for you.

• What is the CVS coupon policy?
At CVS, you can use one manufacturer coupon and one store coupon per item. This (in coupon lingo) is called stacking coupons. CVS also will accept internet printed (IP) coupons (some stores will not accept IP coupons because of the amount of fraudulent coupons reproduced). You can also use a Buy One Get One Free (BOGO) coupon on a BOGO store special, meaning you can get two items free. CVS does not accept competitor coupons (i.e. Target, Walgreens, or Rite Aid). Also you can use your ECB rewards combined with manufacturer and store coupons. Often, this will mean free or moneymaker (MM) items!

Example of a CVS purchasing scenario:
Here is a CVS purchase I made this week that combines the use of Extra Care
Bucks and Extra Care Buck deals for the week of 7/4/2010/-7/10/10.

•Biotrue Contact Lens Solution 2oz $2.99 (buy 1, get $2.99 in ECB)
•2 CVS Pantyliners 2/$1.00 (buy 2 CVS pantyliners for $1.00, get $1 in ECB)
•1 Diet Coke 20oz $1.79 (I know, I know, it was a little pricey but I was thirsty, plus I needed it to use up an ECB)
Total $6.02 (used $5 in ECB from last week), paid $1.02 out of pocket (OOP), got back $2.99 ECB for Biotrue, $1.00 ECB for CVS pantyliners.


This week is actually a slow week at CVS. The Biotrue and CVS Pantyliners are the only freebies available this week. As far as I know, they are limited to two per ECB card. The best way to do this is to make two seperate transactions. Each transaction with 2 CVS pantyliners and 1 2oz bottle of Biotrue. If you don't have any ECB available, you will have to pay cash out of pocket (OOP) for the first transaction, then you can roll your ECB from the first transaction onto the second transaction to pay for it (you will only have to pay tax OOP). Then you will have $3.99 worth of ECB to hold onto for next weeks sales!

I am heading to CVS tonight, so I will report back with my purchases (hoping I can find some rocking clearance (which CVS has quite often))!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment